Thursday 30 September 2010

“Green eyed monster” – Adrian Smith



So we were asked to write a short piece (around 250 words) about an artists work that we really envied. I have chosen Adrian Smith, a prominent fantasy artist and a personal hero of mine who has done a lot of work for Games Workshop. I must say at this point that Adrian Smith’s work and a lot of other illustration that I love is nothing like mine in terms of style or technique, so some people may question the relevance of my choice of artists to talk about, however this is the work that inspires me and the task set was based on what makes us jealous, and this artwork does exactly that.

When deciding who to choose for this piece of writing, I considered many of my favourite artists, Frank Frazetta, John Howe, John Blanche, Karl Kopinski, Alex Boyd, Paul Dainton, Alan Lee, the list goes on, but I thought considering that I haven’t dedicated a post to Adrian Smith yet, I should do so now because he is a massive hero of mine.

So I can’t really express how much I love Adrian’s work. His paintings are simply awe-inspiring, his skill is sublime and his imagination is endless. Whether in colour or black and white his paintings are amazing, the drama and action and sense of movement and dynamism, makes me feel instantly that I am actually THERE. I can look at Adrian’s paintings and feel the heat of battle, the clashing of steel, the screams of the wounded and the cacophony of a firefight. What I really enjoy about fantasy art is the escapism, Adrian’s paintings transport me to another world, and most of the time I don’t want to come back…

You can check out Adrian's work here

www.adriansmith.co.uk

1 comment:

  1. Id much rather eat my own face than face the chaos creatures he creates.

    ReplyDelete