Saturday 1 May 2010

7x7 Brief



I've not posted anything for a while so the next few posts are going to cover the past few weeks of progress on this brief...

As I said in the last post, I was having real trouble with ideas generation for this brief, I was getting really bogged down in my sketchbook doing useless doodles, so Ian my tutor gave a task to do one morning. It was to find 40 images. 10 that I liked, 10 that I thought Ian/Gary would like, 10 that were relevant to the story and 10 that were irrelevant to the story. So I set off to the library and over the period of about 3/4 of the day I had plastered my walls with images.

The images I found were very varied, obviously the relevant-to-the-story images were of the Victorians etc, but the others were very varied indeed, they included Albrecht Durer, Henrik Drescher, some Japanese woodblock prints, Samurai armour, South Pacific tribal art, Frank Miller graphic novels, Noma Bar, illustrations from a book on alchemy and mysticism and more...

But one thing they all had in common was the combination of strong shapes and texture or mark-making that was quite textural. So, using this I began to make some work combining the two, strong shape and texture.

The two images included in this post are what I came up with...

No comments:

Post a Comment